Subject: Re: bootstrapping from ultrix
To: Arnold Robbins <arnold@cc.gatech.edu>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/10/1994 10:19:01
> Greetings. I have just subscribed to this list.  With the release of 1.0,
> I am very interested in getting netbsd runing on some decstation 5000s.
>
> I am willing to muddle through doing a bootstrap from Ultrix, but if
> there's a canned sequence of instructions to do this, it would be a
> huge help.  If someone could mail this to me, or tell me where to find
> it, I'd appreciate it.

Since you are new to the list, I must inform you that the pmax port is
still being worked on and it is not up to the same quality as the officially
released ports (i386, sun4c, amiga, max, pc532)  Or as Chris G. Demetriou
says, "Though the NetBSD 1.0 source tree includes support for DECstations,
some Sun 3 models, and some VAXen, those ports are not far enough along to
merit a complete binary distribution."

That being said, I can now tell you that it is possible to get NetBSD-pmax
up and running multi-user but it takes a bit of work.  There are also
multiple ways to install it depending on:

1) Do you have another machine running NetBSD? (i386 or anything...)
2) How many drives do you have on the Decstation?
3) Do you have a tape drive on the Decstation?
4) Is the Decstation on a network?
5) Do you have a spare external disk drive that you can move between machines?
6) Do you have Ultrix? (By the looks of things, yes)

If you mail me the answers to these questions, I can either give you some
help to set things up, or put you in touch with someone else to help you.

Dean Huxley
NetBSD pmax port maintainer.