Subject: Re: Looking for cross-compiled disklabel or bootblocks
To: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/30/1994 11:01:20
> Quick and dirty method:
>
> ftp fsa.ca:pmax/bootblock.pmax
> cat bootblock.pmax miniroot > /dev/rrz#c
> halt
> boot -f rz(0,#,0)netbsd

I did this, and it did boot!

I had tried the
> Slower more customizable method (still dirty though):
and botched it, so I tried the dummy's version and it booted up and gave
me the tic-tac-toe prompt!

The label that it put on my disk didn't match the disk well at all, so I
went back and did the customizable method again.

I've got two versions of the 8 Kbyte bootblock file, and I'm not sure
now which one's Jonathon's and which is Dean's.  I used the 'mi1578hack'
one, since the disk is a Micropolis 1578, but I used Dean's
cross-disklabel to change some parameters to match what Ultrix's 'rzdisk
-g default' said about the disk (1224 cylinders and 36 sectors/track,
for 631053 blocks total).  I adjusted the root partition to start at
block 16, then i dd'ed Jonathon's miniroot onto it with 'seek=16' and
booted it, and it came right up!  Great work, guys!

So now I've got the miniroot up and I need to figure out how to make a
complete system.  I've got Jonathon's userland binaries from gregorio,
and I saw that the miniroot has ifconfig and rcp, and I thought, "Can it
be this easy?"

No, it can't, of course.  ifconfig worked fine, but rcp always tells me:

    rcp: unknown user 0

The code in rcp.c is:

	if (!(pwd = getpwuid(userid = getuid()))) {
		(void)fprintf(stderr, "rcp: unknown user %d.\n", (int)userid);
		exit(1);
	}

There is an /etc/passwd file with an entry for root that looks fine to
me.  Anybody got a clue?  Or should I do the hardware hack and make
a tape and temporarily put a tape drive on the DECstation?

--
Ted Spradley                tsprad@metronet.com             +1-214-484-5356
Brisco: "...the more I learn the less I know."