Subject: Some serious stuff working now ;)
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@iastate.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/28/1994 10:21:13
I've managed to build a 24M root partition (which gzips nicely down to about
3.4M since most of it is empty) and with a ``full'' /bin and /sbin installed.
I am in the process of fleshing out /etc so I can at least telnet and ping
from the machine.

I haven't been brave enough to kick the box into multiuser yet though, but
more than likely will tonight or this weekend.

I can place my partition up for FTP, or you can build your own.  ;)

Here's what I did to make a dd'able file:

Logged into my NetBSD/i386 box at home.  Wrote a small program to write out a
specified number of 512-byte sectors to a file.  I then told it to write out
47909 of them -- the size of my a partition.

Then, run this sequence of commands (or close to these -- this is from memory)

	vnconfig -cv /dev/vnd0c our_root
	newfs -t 15 -u 71 -s 47909 /dev/rvnd0c rz57
[I think any disk type will work -- we're overriding all the options anyway!]
	mount /dev/vnd0c /mnt
[copy in binaries, /etc, you get the idea.  When done: ]
	umount /mnt
	vnconfig -uv /dev/vnd0c our_root

dd this to the NetBSD disk using the command
	dd if=our_root of=/dev/rrz0c seek=16
and there you have it, a bigger root, hopefully.

I assume the same thing would work with /usr, but for now I'm using a
read-only Ultrix-mounted partition.  I still cannot newfs the disk, but
disklabel does find the correct partitions and such.  That's nice at least.
I've not tried to ALTER them under NetBSD -- when the Ultrix disk becomes the
spare I'll experiment  ;)

The exact message:
#newfs /dev/rrz0e
rz0: error 0 scsi status 0x2
rz0: Illegal request, blk 1954050
write error: 1762574
wtfs: Input/output error

I was told the reason newfs will not work is because it cannot find the
disklabel.  Also, in the .tar.gz files I have for pmax, gcc is incomplete and
cannot find as.  Is it even self hosting yet, or will I still need to compile
using Ultrix?

--Michael

--
Michael Graff    Iowa State University Computation Center      Project Vincent
215 Durham                voice: (515) 294-4994           explorer@iastate.edu