Subject: My status...
To: None <port-pmax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/23/1994 09:29:38
I've had some success booting NetBSD on my 4.4BSD system.  I was able
to get the kernel to compile several weeks ago, and after some further
effort, was able to get it to run init.   Unfortunately, once it ran
init, it seemed to hang.   I was able to trace this to the serial
driver, but then things got hectic for a few weeks and I had to stop.

Finally, on Sunday, I spent some more time with it and discovered that
the problems with the serial driver went away if I set CLOCAL and
skipped cooked output processing.   The CLOCAL part might have to do
with my cabling, but skipping cooked output processing is a bit weird,
and I suspect a bug in the line discipline.   I haven't looked into it
any further, though - I was more interested in getting the thing
running.

I ran into compatibility problems with mount (sound familiar,
Jonathan? :') which turned out to be easy to get around.   I also
found that NetBSD insists on there being a label on a disk before
it'll mount it, even on the C partition.   This is kind of a drag -
can anybody explain why the code to make up a default partition was
removed?   I'm not saying that's wrong -- just curious...

Anyway, after fixing the mount code and re-enabling the default
partition mapper, I was able to get all my disks mounted and fsck'd.
I still run into hangs which I suspect are related to the serial
driver, but I haven't looked into them yet.   I was experiencing the
same sort of hangs on 4.4BSD.   :'(

I'm going to grab the latest tar files from sun-lamp and see if I can
get things working a bit better.   If anybody has any comments or
observations, I'd like to hear them...   I owe a couple of people on
this list some changes that I needed to get off of my 4.4BSD
partition.   Now that I have a kernel that can look at it again, I'll
try to get those out as soon as possible.   Sorry for the delay...

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.