Subject: Re: Yet another set of patches: /netbsd goes multi-user on Ultrix root!
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/18/1994 23:50:56
> Warning: I haven't even read these patches carefully.  Use at your own
> risk. Caveat Emptor. Especially the mounting of Ultrix partitions
> read-write.  It works for me; but the result looks _really_ bad to
> Ultrix fsck. (I use fsck -b32 to repair the filesystem, under Ultrix,
> then boot NetBSD in order to mount it.)

This is _exactly_ the reason why we _disallowed_ mouting of 4.2FFS
file systems read-write.  (It was allowed in 4.4BSD, but in NetBSD is
only used for 'compaibility' with other OS's FS's.  AMIX, A/UX, and
ULTRIX, if not others, use the 4.2FFS format.)

if you want to make the partitions read-write-able, you should
fsck -c 1 or fsck -c 2 them, but that, of course, makes them unusable
from ULTRIX...

chris