Subject: getting multiuser by cross-compiling (e.g., on Ultrix)?
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/1994 16:15:01
Is there some reason to not try the following approach to going
multiuser with NetBSD on a decstation:

	* Use gcc -nostdinc on a decstation to compile libc.a &c on a
	* Use gcc to compile a root partition and whatever
	  is needed to go multiuser, to .o files.
	* Use gcc -nostdinc -l<cross-compiled .a files> to  link those
	  .o files, and the .a files produced first, into ECOFF executables,
	  containing _native_ NetBSD syscalls
	* Use GNU ld or  a specially-written utility to smash
	  the ECOFF binaries into native [i.e., non-emulatnio-mode]
	  Netbsd (a.out?) format for the PMAX.

That way it wouldn't be necessary  to debug the Ultrix emulation
to go multi-user.  I mean, who wants a 4.2BSD syslog anyway?
Not to mention emulating the nauseating Ultrix semantics for
/dev/xcons.

It's somewhat gross, but it's a quick way to get self-hosting. I think
this is how the (now-defunct) V system was ported to new platforms..

--Jonathan Stone
  Stanford DSG