Subject: re: whats new??
To: None <port-pmax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/03/1994 09:03:28
Gosh, all this high-powered expertise and lowly me pretending I can hack
Unix kernels ...

I was working on NetBSD/pmax up until mid-January or so, when I got *really*
swamped with my real job.  Misfortunately, the same pmax is involved in both
activities.  I had a bootable kernel built built from the magnum NetBSD tree,
which came up to the point of getting rather confused about allocating the
buffer cache.  There things stood when I had to stand down for a while.

Then, more-or-less simultaneously, it bacame clear that the NetBSD vm code
and the underlying pmax code just weren't singing the same tune, *and* the
Great Lawsuit settled, freeing up 4.4BSD-lite.

Theo and I both came to the conclusion that, rather than hacking any further,
the thing to do was wait for the 4.4 code.  (At least I hope that was your
conclusion, too, Theo!)  I've been trying, without much success, to secure
a second DECstation to boot kernels on; previously, I couldn't manage more
than one or two test boots per day, and that not every day.

I'm still willing to help, especially if I get that second DECstation (which
will probably be a Personal DECStation 5000/25).  I think it'll turn out
better starting with the 4.4 code, anyway.  But if there's really going to
be something ready by USENIX time, wow!

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com  (Internet)
uunet!sunquest!terry      (Usenet)