Port-playstation2 archive

Re: sun2 and playstation2 ports to be moved into Attic

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 05:57:54PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
 >      Even if it does run, is it useful?  Is there any real hardware
 > left that functions?  According to Wikipedia max. RAM was 8 MB.  Is
 > that useful for running modern NetBSD and semi-modern apps?

Given that a sun2 kernel should be relatively small, it's enough for
e.g. a mail server, firewall, or any of the other things people do
with small old machines.

However, that assumes one still exists somewhere.

 >      I would add that it must support PIC.  The lack of PIC support is
 > a major pain in the neck for many things.  Especially in light of the
 > extremely limited amount of memory it can take.

What's different between it and other m68k ports? I've never seen a
clear explanation.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost