Subject: Re: NetBSD HEAD userland isn't compiled without short loop fixes?
To: NetBSD/playstation2 <port-playstation2@netbsd.org>
From: Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
List: port-playstation2
Date: 02/04/2006 01:26:27
--VkqCAaSJIySsbD6j

* Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 05:10:19PM +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
> > the CPU quirk workarounds and the vector instructions), but the userland
> > is built with a regular mipsel toolchain
>=20
> Yes, you are right. It would be *realy* cool to get the EE patches lifted
> into (a) official gcc anytime, and (b) into a 4.1-branch gcc soon, so we =
could
> use them as local patches in the NetBSD tree (once a newer gcc is importe=
d).

So how about sending in a small patch to the GNU folks that fixes the
userland crashes for starters? I guess compiling the NetBSD kernel with
a separate toolchain isn't that bad. It sure needs to be resolved
finally, but getting a working userland does have a higher priority ;-)

In the other news:

* Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl> wrote:
> I also found some other small bugs:
>
> - The gsfb driver shows some small corruption on the first eight rows
>   and two columns (16 chars) of the display; a lot of the time the
>   characters are painted black. Most of the time when scrolling upwards.

After some debugging: there are actually two bugs in the gsfb driver:

- In the function `gsfb_set_cursor_pos', there's an off-by-one bug which
  draws the cursor at 7x15 instead of 8x16 (can be fixed by removing the
  '- 1's from the source. Anyone with a commit bit in here? ;-)
- The `gsfb_cursor_cmd' array contains some faulty data which garbles up
  the top rows when repainting the cursor. I don't have a clue how the
  Playstation 2 video chip works, but I know the bug is there - when I
  disable the entire cursor code, my terminal works 100% correctly.

Yours,
--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/