Subject: NetBSD HEAD userland isn't compiled without short loop fixes?
To: NetBSD/playstation2 <port-playstation2@netbsd.org>
From: Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
List: port-playstation2
Date: 02/03/2006 17:10:19
--vmttodhTwj0NAgWp

Hello everyone,

A couple of days I finally picked up a CRT monitor that supports Sync on
Green (hooray!) and I abused my Compaq Pentium 3 (compy.fxq.nl) to build
a NetBSD HEAD release. The result:

| $ uname -a
| NetBSD sony.fxq.nl 3.99.15 NetBSD 3.99.15 (SONY) #0: Thu Feb  2 23:35:46 =
CET 2006  root@compy.fxq.nl:/usr/obj/sys/arch/playstation2/compile/SONY pla=
ystation2

Hooray :-)

Quite cool the latest NetBSD snapshots still boot on a Playstation 2. It
seems the kernel is built with the toolchain from pkgsrc (which supports
the CPU quirk workarounds and the vector instructions), but the userland
is built with a regular mipsel toolchain, which causes a lot of
applications to segfault (short loops?):

| $ sleep 5
| [1]   Segmentation fault (core dumped) sleep 5

| $ ps
| PID TTY   STAT    TIME COMMAND
| 585 ttyp0 R+   0:00.00 ps
| 604 ttyp0 Ss   0:00.04 -sh
| [1]   Segmentation fault (core dumped) ps

I also found some other small bugs:

- The gsfb driver shows some small corruption on the first eight rows
  and two columns (16 chars) of the display; a lot of the time the
  characters are painted black. Most of the time when scrolling upwards.
- The USB keyboard driver (or the entire system?) locks up at the
  mountroot prompt.

I'll take a look if I can fix these problems. I think it's nice NetBSD
still actually boots after all these years.

Yours,
--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/

PS: The framebuffer sure looks a lot better when removing FONT_SONY8x16
    and adding FONT_VT220L8x16 in your kernel config :-)

--vmttodhTwj0NAgWp

--vmttodhTwj0NAgWp--