Port-playstation2 archive

Re: what are my options now that i can't get a linux kit?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 02:32:17PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

> Yes.  Someone found a bug in the PS1 emulation code that cracks open
> the boot sequence.  It's become known as the "independence day"
> exploit.  A while back I sent a message here asking if there was
> interest in making NetBSD/playstation2 capable of using it and got
> deafening silence in reply.  Looking at the archives, I get the feeling
> nobody reads the list any longer.

yeah, this isn't exactly the most active list it seems.  can you boot linux
from that exploit?  it looks like NetBSD doesn't support the dualshock
controller or the audio, which makes NetBSD far less attractive on ps2 for
me as i would like both of those (movie station)

> How much work would be necessary to make NetBSD/playstation2 boot via
> the PS1 bug, I have no idea - I haven't yet even looked at it.

maybe i'll see where the linux folks are with that.

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."