Subject: Re: what are my options now that i can't get a linux kit?
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-playstation2
Date: 12/13/2004 14:32:17
> ok, so i went to get a linux kit.  oh, look, they are sold out, and
> aren't making any more.

> joy.

> what are my options now?  is some sort of homebrew setup possible?

Yes.  Someone found a bug in the PS1 emulation code that cracks open
the boot sequence.  It's become known as the "independence day"
exploit.  A while back I sent a message here asking if there was
interest in making NetBSD/playstation2 capable of using it and got
deafening silence in reply.  Looking at the archives, I get the feeling
nobody reads the list any longer.

How much work would be necessary to make NetBSD/playstation2 boot via
the PS1 bug, I have no idea - I haven't yet even looked at it.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign