Subject: Re: Source code added.
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 08/19/2003 20:57:39

> <ragge@ludd.luth.se> writes:
> > - A port of PCC (the 32V C compiler) with a bunch of changes.
>
> I thought PCC was not an ANSI compiler...

``was'' is the important keyword here.  I added ANSI prototypes and
keywords + a bunch of C99 stuff + a tree optimizer step, then it
can generate quite decent assembler.  The cleanliness of the compiler
implementation made it simple to change stuff in it, and also to
port it to different platforms. And, the most important feature, it
was designed at a time when machines usually only were word adressed
and had bytesizes != 8 bits :-)

There are some not-so-simple stuff in it, though. The
Sethi-Ullman-computations that need to be handwritten are not fun
to deal with, and especially its interaction with the rest of the
code generation machinery.  I may rewrite this someday.

Funny note: Compiling the kernel with gcc takes ~12 minutes, and
compiling the same with PCC takes 45 seconds.  The gcc generated
code is not 15 times better :-)

-- Ragge