Subject: Status update
To: None <port-pdp10@netbsd.org>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 02/11/2003 16:54:05
A small status report:

I haven't done anything with the pdp10 port the latest months, mostly
because i don't get paid for this hacking so I must do other work to
survive, but also because gcc needs a bunch of changes/fixes to be
useable for NetBSD.

The gcc problems is that it need to handle casts between int/long
and pointers in a special way; the NetBSD kernel uses byte offsets
to address things in-kernel. I have tried to understand how this
could be done in gcc but failed, it's far too complex for the time
I have to understand it.

However, I took a look at pcc to see if it was possible to use that
compiler instead. It was designed for word-adressible architectures,
so I wrote a quick pdp10 port to it. The most challenging part was
to make pcc understand the ansi/c99 construct and keywords used in
the kernel; the pdp10 assembly generation parts was was quite
straightforward. More about this in a separate mail.

Anyway, the next challenge is to find out a way to deal with the
filesystem code. It uses for example NBBY together with int8_t which
will give bad results.

-- Ragge