Subject: Re: Some progress report.
To: Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net>
From: Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@nocrew.org>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 08/19/2002 20:06:23
Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net> writes:
> At 06:48 PM 8/15/02 +0200, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> > Also, extended models are called "KL10 Model B" or just "KL10B" or
> > sometimes "KL10-B", though this is also the name of an early
> > processor model without extended addressing.  Finally, "Model B"
> > also somehow refers to the back plane.
> The Model A backplane supports 1280 words of microcode and the Model B
> backplane supports 2048 words of microcode.

Right, and there is also the "KL10 Model B" processor.  Or is that
just any KL10 with a Model B backplane?  Does this coincide with the
KL10-PV designation?  Is that perhaps a name for the backplane?

> > So what's the proper name of a KL10 processor supporting extended
> > addressing is, I don't know.  KL10B seems most common, though.
> This gets into what you are going to have for a
> front-end/maintenance processor. A KL10B will need an emulated
> PDP-11/40 with emuated DECtapes. A KL10E+ would have bigger emulated
> cache and emulated floppies on the emulated PDP-11/40.

(I'm not sure what you mean here with "KL10B".  According to
http://www.inwap.com/pdp10/models.txt a KL10-B is not an extended
KL10, but anyway, that's not my point.)

I would agree that if I said "I want to exactly emulate a
DECSYSTEM-2065 with a KL10-E+", I would get into issues about cache,
front end, perpherals, etc, but that's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm confused about if there is a name for the set of all extended
KL10 processors.  Is it "KL10 B"?

--
Lars Brinkhoff          http://lars.nocrew.org/     Linux, GCC, PDP-10,
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/    HTTP programming