Subject: Re: Some progress report.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@nocrew.org>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 08/15/2002 18:48:03
Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> writes:
> > > cpu: KL10E, serial number 01, microcode version 0442
> >        ^^^^^
> > Where does the "E" come from, exactly?
> >
> The "DECSYSTEM20 Technical Summary" says that if a KL10 has hardware for
> extended addressing it is a KL10-E.

According to
        http://www.inwap.com/pdp10/models.txt
it can also be a KL10-E+, KL10-R, or KL10-R+.

There is also something else going on.  The "innermost" CPU thing can
be a KL10-PA, KL10-PV, or KL10-PW (the latter supporting extended
addressing).  I *think* this may be the processor card, or stack of
cards etc, while KL10-E etc are the whole box with some stuff other
than the processor proper.

Also, extended models are called "KL10 Model B" or just "KL10B" or
sometimes "KL10-B", though this is also the name of an early processor
model without extended addressing.  Finally, "Model B" also somehow
refers to the back plane.

So what's the proper name of a KL10 processor supporting extended
addressing is, I don't know.  KL10B seems most common, though.

--
Lars Brinkhoff          http://lars.nocrew.org/     Linux, GCC, PDP-10,
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/    HTTP programming