Subject: Re: Short "update"
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@nocrew.org>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 06/15/2002 16:52:36
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com> writes:
> Hmm. Perhaps we should be collaborating with XKL on this work if
> they're willing to make a Toad available for it? Or would they
> consider the entire effort to be sacrilege?

I don't think they'd be very interested in supporting our effort.  I
had an exchange about another possible port with Ralph Gorin at XKL:

Me:
  [Richard Stallman] also expressed some interest in the possibility
  of running ITS on a TOAD-1.

Ralph:
  I haven't seen Richard Stallman in years, but of course I remember
  him from MIT.  I'll mention ITS to Len, but I doubt that we'd have
  much interest in sponsoring that project.  It would be a neat hack,
  but I can see it consuming too much of me: as good as the
  architecture manual might be, there are corners where an operating
  system might venture that are poorly lit.

Ralph:
  I spoke with Len this afternoon.   His reactions to your message.

  ITS on a TOAD: neat hack.  We're not going to do it.  If an ITS
  fanatic wants to try, we'll listen to his or her story.

(Len is the owner of XKL.  Great guy.)