Subject: Re: floating point
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@nocrew.org>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 06/15/2002 15:18:53
Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl> writes:
> Since the pdp-10 is not (really) byte-addressable, I guess you could
> also say it is not endian :) You only have to consider the format
> inside a whole word, nothing else.

Individual bytes ARE addressable.  If you read successive (as defined
by the IBP instruction) bytes from a word, you will get the most
significant byte first, and the least significant byte last.  The GCC
port most definitely views the PDP-10 as a big-endian machine.

But that was not what I was asking about.  I seem to recall that the
VAX floating point formats, when stored in memory, inherit the PDP-11
byte order, which is neither little endian nor big endian.  Is that
correct?

--
Lars Brinkhoff          http://lars.nocrew.org/     Linux, GCC, PDP-10,
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/    HTTP programming