Subject: Re: floating point
To: Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@nocrew.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 06/15/2002 15:08:05
On Sat 15 Jun 2002 at 12:55:45 +0200, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> writes:
> > > The '10 will be our second non-IEEE floating point port. Should be
> > > interesting trying to run the non-IEEE support on something other
> > > than a Vax.
> > Its floating point format is the same as VAXen format, but with a
> > longer fraction. So it should hopefully work as well :-)
>
> Not byte or short endianness differences?

Since the pdp-10 is not (really) byte-addressable, I guess you could
also say it is not endian :) You only have to consider the format inside
a whole word, nothing else.

I just think they are numbering the bits in the wrong way (like IBM does
also); it is so much more convenient if the value of bit n is 2^n and
not something like 2^(wordsize - n)...

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- Woo betide the one who feels
\X/ polderland.nl  -- remorse without sin - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4444.