Subject: Re: [OT] Any sources for PDP-11 spares?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-pdp10
Date: 06/11/2002 15:07:14
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <200206112135.XAA13278@father.ludd.luth.se>,
> Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> wrote:
> > Lars Brinkhoff wrote:

> > > There is a way to create such a type:
> > >   typedef int int32_t __attribute__ ((size (32)));
> > > but it's not well tested, so I'm not sure it works.
> >
> > He, you implement things faster than I think :-) In that case it
> > will be much simpler with a lot of things. Great!
>
> Mmm, I would consider that cheating tho.

Certainly cheating from the standpoint of it not really making NetBSD
more portable.  The approach of "casting" the PDP-10 into a 32-bit
architecture is probably going to be the quickest way to create a
successful port.

I sort of prefer the idea of pulling the rest of the NetBSD code towards
something more generic, making all of it less dependent on `n^2' word
size preconceptions, but I've no sense of how unreasonable that goal
might be.  Would doing so adversely compromise performance of the kernel
or, more likely, maintainability of the kernel source?

-brian.