Subject: Re: Proposed targets to obsolete for gcc 3.5
To: None <bje@au.ibm.com, ian@beware.dropbear.id.au>
From: Phil Budne <phil@ultimate.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 06/29/2004 11:14:31
Ian wrote:
> Similar comments about the gas and binutils ports. We have a
> functioning a.out port (albeit without dynamic linking), there are
> plenty of examples of elf ports (vax is probably a good starting
> place). But someone has to get there head around it all, understand
> elf and the organization of binutils (the way macros are used is not
> transparent) do the coding test it debug it etc.

I'd be interested in doing ELF work, tho help from someone who
understands the issues (I seem to recall the 32k needed something
(24-bit relocatables?) that VAXen don't use).  I'd be MUCH more likely
to do actual work if it can be done cross compiling on x86.

Last time I looked at this I ended up stuck in a quagmire of NetBSD
configuration and different versions of binutils! Some pointers on
getting past these hurdles would help!

-phil