Subject: Re: ./ tools: error in 'file'
To: Eyal Lebedinsky <>
From: Antti Kantee <>
List: port-pc532
Date: 03/30/2004 13:14:54
On Tue Mar 30 2004 at 13:14:59 +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Building on 1.5.3 (last proper release?) from a reasonably recent
> -current, I encountered a problem in
> 	usr/src/dist/file/src/file.c
> in file_mbswidth().
> It assumes that HAVE_WCHAR_H means we have mbstate_t and mbrtowc().
> /usr/include/wchar.h does not have these, however later
> versions do have it (as usr/src/include/wchar.h does too).

Yes, it assumes that too much is provided if wchar.h is present.

> Is this a problem with './ tools' incorrectly using the
> native headers, or should 'file' be more careful?

'file' should be more careful.

> Or, maybe I should have done something after installing -current
> in /usr/src and before starting the build?

Yes, checkout a new version ;)

I put some bandaid on src/dist/file/src/file.c rev 1.7.  See if that
helps for the time being.

  - antti

Antti Kantee <>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
                 "connoisseurs do not chill their malts."