Subject: Re: ns32k toolchain
To: Ian Dall <ian@beware.dropbear.id.au>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/03/2002 14:52:21
Ian Dall <ian@beware.dropbear.id.au> writes:
> The 32081 and 32381 only impliment a subset of ieee fp. There are enough
> hooks to allow software emulation of the missing bits. Essentially, by
> default, the fpu traps on NaN, Inf, and denormal operands, divide by zero
> etc. If you want to get the right answers, you need to do the right thing
> with those traps, which is what my handler does. It does not do full
> fp emulation and will not suffice if you don't have a fpu, so it fills
> a different niche to a softfloat library.

This is very similar to what many modern FPUs do, actually. The Alpha
port, for instance, handles things like denorms with a separate
library that Ross Harvey wrote. We might want to use the same library
code where possible across ports for this sort of thing.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com