Subject: Re: new toolchain + ELF + sched. activations
To: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 01/02/2002 16:05:47
Ian Dall wrote:

> You can invent a ns32k magic number, but that is not the hard bit!

We don't even need to do that - we have a NS32K number officially
assigned now:

thoreau:src-clean/sys/sys 7956> grep NS32K exec_elf.h
#define EM_NS32K        97      /* National Semiconductor 32000 series */

Although not hard, there was some effort involved in tracking down the
right email address with the SCO-to-Caldera changes that have been
happening recently :-)

>   > That's the big problem -- the new toolchain breaks for unknown reasons
>   > on the 32k.
>
> The biggest problem is ELF. I expect most of the gcc problems to be
> fixed in gcc 3.0.x (I did considerable work leading up to the gcc 3.0
> release, but never checked the final result).

The biggest problems I've seen so far are the "spill register overflow"
errors reported here in the past.  I've got an almost up-to-date gcc3
tree here, I'll see if the errors have gone.  Note that even with the
old toolchain I see the occasional "spill register overflow" error
compiling some kernel files (an IPSEC one comes to mind, that is not
enabled by a default pc532 GENERIC kernel).

> I am happy to continue working on gcc. If someone else is happy to
> pick up the ELF stuff and the kernel stuff.

I'll be happy to look into ELF and the SA stuff if we have a working
toolchain :-)

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/