Subject: Re: DIY Arm Palmtop w. Linux @ http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/
To: Julian Stacey <jhs@muc.de>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@paclink.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 02/09/2000 22:06:45
"Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi  port-pc532@netbsd.org (bcc: pc532@bungi.com)
> This isn't PC532, but may interest the builders thereof.
> There's a build-it-yourself type project for Arm Palmtop with Linux at
> 	http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/
> I guess it may be of interest to some PC532 Do-It-Yourself types ?

I looked at it this afternoon, (about 7 hours ago), and it's of
interest to me... 8-)

> PS
> If someone did a kit of parts I could be tempted, there's a mail list address
> on the digital.com web page there, I guess any such possibilities might be
> discussed there.

I think it would be real cool to have one.  However, while soldering
a PC532 was not very difficult, the size of the Itsy would imply
some surface mount parts, which is somewhat more difficult.  (I
could do it 10 years ago, but it would have been difficult, now I
wonder if I could even attempt that.) I guess I need to find the
right tools... 8-)

Second, the page said it used standard parts, except for the
touchscreen/LCD.  I suppose a standard one could be substituted,
any ideas?  (I guess I should go sign up on that mailing list, and
actually read more than just the first page before I spout so much
baseless fiction. 8-)

Jon