Subject: Re: Free vnode isn't panics
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/30/1999 15:39:20
Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu> writes:

  > [Frequent panics: "Free vnode isn't" ...]

Do you still have these panics? The frequency seems to have dropped
for me, but I can repeatably cause a panic by a "grep foo *.c" in a
large directory of source. A compile doesn't similarly cause a panic
(or at least very rarely) and that must touch a lot of vnodes. In a
moment of inspiration I wondered if there is anything special about
grep, and sure enough, grep tries to use mmap if it is available.

To confirm my theory, I will try compiling grep with out HAVE_MMAP and
see if my grep test no longer causes a panic. I still haven't heard of
anyone on other architectures getting these panics so I wonder if
there is anything in our VM support which could cause it?

Ian