Subject: Re: errors building install floppies
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 04/05/1999 21:27:42
Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au> wrote:

> Jon Buller wrote:
>
> > I'm building an alpha release image, and ran into the following
> > problem.  I don't have a lot of time to nurse the builds along,
> > but I can let my machine build for endless hours without too much
> > difficulty.  Could someone more knowlegable in the mbr stuff take
> > a look at this? (Phil, your name is all over defs.h 8-)
>
> I think Phil is innocent at this stage - look at the CVS logs for
> recent changes ;)

But it's so much easier to blame the person in the copyright notice
than dial your ISP to check the CVS logs 8-)  (Sorry Phil!)

> > [[ struct mbr_partition problems deleted ]]
> >
> > I've got to get to work soon, but I'll work on getting the tarballs
> > up on the ftp server tonight.

I just finished doing a cvs update, I'll try it all again...

> > We also need a makefile in
> > /usr/src/distrib/pc532 so the floppies will automatically build
> > during a "make release".  I'll be trying to do that (and the
> > associated pull-up) in the next day or two as well.
>
> I can probably help with this if you have problems (I'm familiar with
> the pmax side).

Thanks, I can use all the help I can get here.

> FWIW, these problems may be better sent to tech-install@netbsd.org.

[Now for some relevance to tech-install]

Phil said that he never got the sysinst stuff working for the pc532,
just enough to use as an example for everyone else...  He said use
the floppy install image stuff from the 1.3.  As my faulty memory
hints, the way to do that was to type "cd /usr/src/distrib/pc532
; make".  The makefile I was suggesting above was to just do a
"SUBDIR=floppies" and "include <bsd.subdir.mk>".  Is there a more
correct / better way to do all this?

> Unfortunately my pc532 doesn't light up any LEDs on power-on, but I
> still watch the list for sentimental reasons and the hope that I will
> one day get it working again :-)

Hmm... I hope you can correct that situation.  It's not a very
impressive machine anymore, unless you tell people that you
hand-soldered it all yourself, but it's still a pretty neat machine
anyway.  I'd put it up against a headless sun3 any day for coolness.

Jon