Subject: Re: pc532 Clocks (was: [pkg] perl not working)
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/01/1998 10:50:47
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>

> My machine is running @30mhz >2 years now, so this seems to be pretty
> "safe". You should put
>
> 	options 	CPU30MHZ
>
> into your kernel config file or a couple of timings will be off by 20%...

On that thought, has anyone tried a 66.6666MHz crystal?  Or does
the general populace think that would generate too much heat for
a fan, or push everything over the edge...

Also, what timings are affected?  I have noticed that my pc532
loses about 30 seconds a day.  Would that be due to losing clock
interrupts, or a crystal that isn't quite 50MHz, or something else?
It seems to be only about 10-15 seconds a day if the machine is
idle, and sometimes up to a 60 secs if I have something like a
"cd /usr/src; make depend && make" going.

My quick and dirty solution to this was to run "nistime" in my
net-connect script that runs every day to get my mail...  nistime
is a program you can get from the government (somewhere, if someone
is interested, I'll go find it again) that hooks up to the atomic
clock that runs the US National standard time, WWV, etc.

Jon