Subject: MAKEDEV.8 changes and intro.4
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/29/1997 22:45:40
Well, I think my memory needs a few extra parity bits.  I don't
think I ever wrote an intro(4) page, but I think I was remembering
when I hacked a MAKEDEV(8) page together, since they both have
lists of device drivers.

Anyway, I found that MAKEDEV(8) needs a few changes, and then stole
an intro(4) page from man4.sparc by typing s/sparc/pc532/ into vi
and deleting lots of framebuffer entries 8-).

Here goes a MAKEDEV context diff followed by intro.4 ...

*** /var/spool/sup/src/share/man/man8/man8.pc532/MAKEDEV.8	Wed Jul 16 06:17:15 1997
--- MAKEDEV.8	Mon Sep 29 22:15:56 1997
***************
*** 107,126 ****
  Concatenated disk driver
  .It Ar cd#
  SCSI CD-ROM drives
! .It Ar lpt#
! Line printer parallel ports
  .It Ar lkm
  Loadable kernel modules
  .It Ar pty#
  Set of 16 master and slave pseudo terminals
  .It Ar sd#
  SCSI disk drives
  .It Ar st#
  SCSI tape drives
  .It Ar tty#
  Onboard serial ports
  .It Ar tun#
  Network tunnel driver
  .It Ar vnd#
  "File" pseudo-disks
  .El
--- 107,138 ----
  Concatenated disk driver
  .It Ar cd#
  SCSI CD-ROM drives
! .It Ar ch#
! SCSI CD-ROM changer devices
! .It Ar ipl
! IP filter
  .It Ar lkm
  Loadable kernel modules
+ .It Ar lpt#
+ Line printer parallel ports
+ .It Ar md#
+ "Memory" pseudo-disks
  .It Ar pty#
  Set of 16 master and slave pseudo terminals
  .It Ar sd#
  SCSI disk drives
+ .It Ar se#
+ SCSI ethernet devices
+ .It Ar ss#
+ SCSI scanners
  .It Ar st#
  SCSI tape drives
  .It Ar tty#
  Onboard serial ports
  .It Ar tun#
  Network tunnel driver
+ .It Ar uk#
+ unknown SCSI devices
  .It Ar vnd#
  "File" pseudo-disks
  .El

---------- intro(4) page starts here ----------
.\"
.\" Copyright (c) 1996 Jonathan Stone.
.\" All rights reserved.
.\"
.\" Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
.\" modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
.\" are met:
.\" 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
.\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
.\" 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
.\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
.\"    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
.\" 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
.\"    must display the following acknowledgement:
.\"      This product includes software developed by Jonathan Stone.
.\" 3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
.\"    derived from this software without specific prior written permission
.\"
.\" THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
.\" IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
.\" OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
.\" IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
.\" INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
.\" NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
.\" DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
.\" THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
.\" (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
.\" THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
.\"
.\"	$Id: intro.4,v 1.3 1997/09/01 09:11:55 fair Exp $
.\"
.Dd September 29, 1997
.Dt INTRO 4 pc532
.Os NetBSD 1.2
.Sh NAME
.Nm intro
.Nd introduction to special files and hardware support
.Sh DESCRIPTION
This section describes the special files, related driver functions,
and networking support
available in the system.
In this part of the manual, the
.Tn SYNOPSIS
section of
each configurable device gives a sample specification
for use in constructing a system description for the
.Xr config 8
program.
The
.Tn DIAGNOSTICS
section lists messages which may appear on the console
and/or in the system error log
.Pa /var/log/messages
due to errors in device operation;
see
.Xr syslogd 8
for more information.
.Pp
This section contains both devices
which may be configured into the system
and network related information.
The networking support is introduced in
.Xr netintro 4 .
.Sh DEVICE SUPPORT
This section describes the hardware supported on the pc532
platform.
Software support for these devices comes in two forms.  A hardware
device may be supported with a character or block
.Em device driver ,
or it may be used within the networking subsystem and have a
.Em network interface driver .
Block and character devices are accessed through files in the file
system of a special type; see
.Xr mknod 8 .
Network interfaces are indirectly accessed through the interprocess
communication facilities provided by the system; see
.Xr socket 2 .
.Pp
A hardware device is identified to the system at configuration time
and the appropriate device or network interface driver is then compiled
into the system.  When the resultant system is booted, the
autoconfiguration facilities in the system probe for the device
and, if found, enable the software support for it.
If a device does not respond at autoconfiguration
time it is not accessible at any time afterwards.
To enable a device which did not autoconfigure,
the system must be rebooted.
.Pp
The autoconfiguration system is described in
.Xr autoconf 4 .
A list of the supported devices is given below.
.Sh SEE ALSO
.Xr cd 4 ,
.Xr sd 4 ,
.Xr ss 4 ,
.Xr st 4 ,
.Xr autoconf 4 ,
.Xr config 8 .
.Sh LIST OF DEVICES
The devices listed below are supported in this incarnation of
the system.  Devices are indicated by their functional interface.
Not all supported devices are listed.
.Pp
.Bl -tag -width speaker
.It ncr
DP8490 SCSI controller
.It scn
SCN2681 serial controller
.It rtc
DS1216E real time clock
.It lpt
parallel port
.El
.Sh UNSUPPORTED DEVICES
.Pp
The following devices are not supported, due to unavailability of
documentation, hardware, or debugging:
.Bl -tag -width speaker
.It aic
AIC6250 SCSI controller
.El
.Sh HISTORY
This
.Tn pc532
.Nm intro
appeared with
.Nx 1.3 .
Large chunks of text carefully recycled (shamelessly appropriated)
from the NetBSD/pmax version via the NetBSD/sparc version.