Subject: Re: pc532 Forth and autoboot monitors
To: Phil Budne <budd@cs.bu.edu>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 06/17/1997 21:39:54
I meant to chime in here before, but life has been hellishly busy (my
own pc532 lies under my desk, now a safe haven for at least 3 large
spiders :-).

If you guys do end up trying to ROM my forth, and I think it's a good
idea if you want the maximum flexibility in boot monitors, then don't
forget that I never plugged the DUART / machine initialization stuff
into "COLD", nor will the forth run unmodified from a ROM environment;
you'll need to make sure that the top-of-dictionary and user variables
are moved into RAM before that can happen.

That said, these are both comparatively small changes and the code
samples are already there for the taking in the current ROM monitor.
Not too much work, I just never got to it. :) I did implement all the
stuff needed for the forth "block I/O" model and reserved a few
sectors after the disklabel for them, so you should be able to also
have a ROM which comes up, sucks the disklabel off and then finds its
"secondary boot blocks" and executes the forth found therein.
That's where you put your emacs editor. :-)

					Jordan