Subject: re: pc532 Forth and autoboot monitors
To: None <budd@cs.bu.edu, seifert@sequent.com>
From: Phil Budne <budd@cs.bu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 06/17/1997 23:34:16
Dave Siefert wrote (in reply to a message from me);

	> The items marked with *** in the WISHLIST (below) are why I started
	> this (and Philip Z's amazement that the sources required Minix to
	> build)!

	They didn't require minix.  They required the "bruce" toolset.
	(I think, it has been awhile.)

Very true, but I didn't want to have see if Bruce's "as" a.out was
compatible with NetBSD's, or make it so. The alternative would have
been to build gcc 1.3x and use Bruce's tools throughout (It turns out
the attraction would have been that it seems like gcc 1.3x generated
smaller code!)

After sending the message out to the list I found out from Matthias
that Ian had already done the port, and had trimmed the help strings
down.  Ian was able to dig up his sources, and it turns out he had
also added a start to the one wish list feature I had forgotten to put
in my mail message; A vector of routines the "booted" application can
call for utilities (ie; ways to reenter the PROM)!!

	One thing I've been wanting to add is a dip-switch, which the
	firmware would read for things like console baudrate and
	whether to boot multiuser or not.

I wonder if there are any input pins on the ICU or Adaptec chips that
could be used for switch settings?

	It is supposedly possible to add another address wire and use
	a 64 KB PROM instead of the 32 KB one.  (From the mailing list
	archives.)

I probably have George's reply regarding adding the additional PROM
address line.  However, I'd hate to come up with something that's only
a marginal improvement *AND* requires hardware mods!

-phil