Subject: Re: converting a Cabletron EA412 to a Cabletron EA419
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 03/21/1997 09:49:18
Jon Buller wrote:
> >From the fingers of "Matthias Pfaller" <leo@dachau.marco.de> comes:
> >
> > Jon Buller wrote:
> > > Well, the box I have says "EA419 SCSI to 10BASE-T adapter with
> > > LANVIEW".  It only has power, DB-25 SCSI, and RJ45 connectors, so
> > > I don't think cracking mine (yet again) would help 8-(  Just what
> > > is supposed to be the difference between a 419 and a 412, and are
> > > there other models in the line?
> >
> > An EA419 looks exactly the same as an EA412. The only difference is that
> > the EA419 has a BNC port and a TP port where the EA412 only has a TP
> > port. The boards should be identical, but on the EA412 some parts needed
> > for the BNC port are not soldered on the PCB. You can open the box by
> > removing the plastic glued on the top of the housing. Then you can see
> > the screw that holds the thing together.
>
> My point being that my box labeled EA419 does NOT have a BNC connector,
> only an RJ45.

Ok. I just checked again on the Cabletron web page and it looks like I
got the numbers reversed :-(. The EA419 is TP and the EA412 is TP+BNC.
Sorry.

> The big problem right now is time, next money, and third, desire.
> I don't really need the ethernet that badly right now, so I haven't
> really thought about scrounging the parts to get it going.  And
> besides money (or time) is a better excuse than being lazy 8-)

My excuse is that I still haven't got a ISA board to mount the cabletron
PCB. I have found one company, but they want DM49,- (about $33) for a
ISA experimantal board, and it would be AT, not XT. So I'm still searching.
Maybe I find something on the flea market tomorrow.

Matthias
--
leo@dachau.marco.de			in real life: Matthias Pfaller
marco GmbH, 85221 Dachau, Germany	tel: +49 8131 516142