Subject: Re: converting a Cabletron EA412 to a Cabletron EA419
To: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 03/20/1997 23:15:00
>From the fingers of "Matthias Pfaller" <leo@dachau.marco.de> comes:
>
> Jon Buller wrote:
> > Well, the box I have says "EA419 SCSI to 10BASE-T adapter with
> > LANVIEW".  It only has power, DB-25 SCSI, and RJ45 connectors, so
> > I don't think cracking mine (yet again) would help 8-(  Just what
> > is supposed to be the difference between a 419 and a 412, and are
> > there other models in the line?
>
> An EA419 looks exactly the same as an EA412. The only difference is that
> the EA419 has a BNC port and a TP port where the EA412 only has a TP
> port. The boards should be identical, but on the EA412 some parts needed
> for the BNC port are not soldered on the PCB. You can open the box by
> removing the plastic glued on the top of the housing. Then you can see
> the screw that holds the thing together.

My point being that my box labeled EA419 does NOT have a BNC connector,
only an RJ45.

> > PS  Sorry, Phil.  (Just how many people could I be addressing on
> > this list with those 4 letters? 8-)  I _still_ haven't hooked the
> > thing up...  Although, I'm thinking about doing it just to see it
> > probe.  I must wait for the bank account to free up a bit before
> > I get a Nubus card for the Mac, or a transceiver for the SPARC.
> > I am also working on getting a hub, or finding someone who can make
> > a "magic" cable instead...  Anyone have a winning lottery ticket
> > they want to give me?
>
> Do you need a AUI->BNC tranceiver for your SPARC? There is a fleamarket
> here in munich on saturday. They usually have tranceivers for about ten
> marks (that's about $7). If you wish, I can get one and send it to you.
> With BNC you don't need a hub.

Well, the only ethernet I have right now is the AUI port on the
SPARC, and the RJ45 port on the EA419.  I need a nubus card if I
want to network the Mac, and some sort of transceiver for the Sun.
Other than that my options are wide open.

I could get a hub, some TP, connectors, a crimper, an AUI->TP
transceiver, and a TP nubus card, and do the works, or perhaps just
a transceiver and a special piece of TP for just the Sun and pc532.
I could also modify my 419 to add a BNC connector, get a BNC
transceiver for the Sun, and get a bunch of coax connectors and
cable.  I'm leaning toward TP just because the connectors are
cheaper and easier, hubs aren't very expensive, a TP nubus card is
cheaper than a BNC or combo card, and the 419 is currently TP.  At
this point, it would take zero effort to decide to use BNC with
the exception of the 419 needing some modification.  In either case
all parts can be gotten cheap, and with relative ease (afaik).

The big problem right now is time, next money, and third, desire.
I don't really need the ethernet that badly right now, so I haven't
really thought about scrounging the parts to get it going.  And
besides money (or time) is a better excuse than being lazy 8-)

Jon