Subject: Re: converting a Cabletron EA412 to a Cabletron EA419
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 03/20/1997 11:26:00
Jon Buller wrote:
> > After doing that I connected the board to my cheapernet and it worked fine.
> > I'd still like to know what to put on C18, R9, R10, R12, R8, C17, R7,
> > C19, C33, R6 and C13, but the board seems to work without these parts
> > as well. Anyone out there with a real EA419 willing to open his box?
>
> Well, the box I have says "EA419 SCSI to 10BASE-T adapter with
> LANVIEW".  It only has power, DB-25 SCSI, and RJ45 connectors, so
> I don't think cracking mine (yet again) would help 8-(  Just what
> is supposed to be the difference between a 419 and a 412, and are
> there other models in the line?

An EA419 looks exactly the same as an EA412. The only difference is that
the EA419 has a BNC port and a TP port where the EA412 only has a TP
port. The boards should be identical, but on the EA412 some parts needed
for the BNC port are not soldered on the PCB. You can open the box by
removing the plastic glued on the top of the housing. Then you can see
the screw that holds the thing together.

> PS  Sorry, Phil.  (Just how many people could I be addressing on
> this list with those 4 letters? 8-)  I _still_ haven't hooked the
> thing up...  Although, I'm thinking about doing it just to see it
> probe.  I must wait for the bank account to free up a bit before
> I get a Nubus card for the Mac, or a transceiver for the SPARC.
> I am also working on getting a hub, or finding someone who can make
> a "magic" cable instead...  Anyone have a winning lottery ticket
> they want to give me?

Do you need a AUI->BNC tranceiver for your SPARC? There is a fleamarket
here in munich on saturday. They usually have tranceivers for about ten
marks (that's about $7). If you wish, I can get one and send it to you.
With BNC you don't need a hub.

Matthias
--
leo@dachau.marco.de			in real life: Matthias Pfaller
marco GmbH, 85221 Dachau, Germany	tel: +49 8131 516142