Subject: Re: In-kernel support for Cabletron scsi ethernet adaptor
To: None <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au, port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Budne <budd@cs.bu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 01/29/1997 01:12:40
I haven't done any work on it, nor has anyone else to my knowledge.

I've been pretty satisified with the thruput I get -- latency is
another issue, but since you have to poll the darn thing that may not
go away entirely.

Handling rarp is pretty darn trivial.  I would guess it's 10% of the
lines of code in rarpd.c, and should be easy to add to etherd.  I'm
not trying to hold up etherd as something great -- it isn't.  But it
does work, which is after all the important thing.

I've wondered if it would be easier to write a real driver that
depends on a user process for context (ie; a process which does an
ioctl() which never returns) for the scsi I/O.

-phil