Subject: anyone want to work on faster quad support for pc532 port?
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 06/04/1996 18:32:34
Please excuse the intrusion of a non-pc532 user...

I've been examining the code generated for quad arithmetic, both gcc's
open coding of quad operations and from the functions in libc/quad/*.
Let's just say the code is suboptimal.

I discovered that the ns32k machine description had no patterns for
DImode integers.  Just for yuks, I quickly hacked functions for add,
subtract, and negate.  Needless to say, my modified gcc is able to
generate much smaller (and hopefully faster!) code for those 64 bit
operations.

Since I don't have a pc532 of my own (I am working on borrowing one so
I can do more performance enhancements), I'm wondering if there are
any NetBSD/pc532 users interested in helping me tune the code generator.

	--jtc