Subject: Space for X11 binaries
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 01/23/1996 14:48:15
etorwi@etn.ericsson.se (Raymond A. Wiker (51482)) writes:

  > 	ObPC532NetBSD II: Has anybody else tried Phil Budne's scn
  > driver? I'm having trouble getting it to work with slip (keep getting
  > "no route to host"). Could be I'm doing something wrong with
  > handshaking/ttyflags. Hints? 115200 would be an improvement over 38400
  > for running X...

No I haven't. However, there may be an alternate approach.  I have the
2681 duarts. I believe many people have the SCC2692 duart, which is
not greatly different. There is, however, a SC26C92 which offers much
better performance. It has an 8 byte fifo on both transmit an
receive. Also it can be flexibly configured to interrupt on fifo half
full or 3 quarter full etc. This would substantially reduce the
overheads of running a high speed serial link. Also, it can be
configured to interrupt if there is data in the receive fifo for more
than 64 bit times (which is somewhat more useful than the old "timeout
mode"). It has another two baud rate tables giving support for over
200kB/s (from memory). It is pin and software compatible.  If you want
to use the extra features you need software changes though.

This duart has been in theoretical existance for a while, but I know
now that at least the dip version really is available. Now I just need
to find out where I can get a plcc version...

Ian