Subject: Kernel hangs halfway up
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Snoopy <snoopy@sopwith.sequent.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 12/23/1995 12:29:05
My pc532 machine has been powered off for a couple months.
I turned it on today planning on downloading netbsd 1.1.
(Currently running a mildly modified netbsd 1.0) But Unix
won't come up.  It finds and reports all the SCSI devices,
prints a debugging printf from when I was debugging the
1.0 clock gaining a day problem, and hangs.

I'm pretty sure the machine was running okay when I
shut it down.  I tried two different kernels.  I tried
pulling out the clock chip, instead of the debugging
printf I get a complaint about the clock being missing.
I tried different memory SIMMs, and lowering the clock
frequency.  I unplugged all the serial devices except
the console.  I powered off a nonessential SCSI device.
Nothing helps.

It would be helpful to know what is supposed to happen next.
(But the source code is on the machine that won't come up,
naturally!)  I know it gets to the place where it reads the
time from the clock chip, but I don't know if it gets past
this, or what happens next.  Can someone tell me what prints
out after the listing of SCSI devices?  Does it print the
date and time at this point, or does it wait until later?

Any ideas of what might be wrong are welcome.

thanks,
Snoopy
snoopy%sopwith@schitzo.rain.com