Subject: Re: Mount incompatability?
To: None <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 12/05/1995 19:31:14
>I upgraded to netbsd 1.1 and discovered that the new mount no longer
>works with mach/lites and the old mount doesn't work with the new
>netbsd. (The error is something like "operation not supported by device").
>I presume the arguments to mount(2) have changed. Can anyone tell me how?

Yes, mount did change.  It was the switch over from ufs to ffs.  It
was supposed to be made backward compatible after there were some
complaints about it.

>Also, I can use the boot loader to boot either netbsd or mach, but in either
>case, when I eventually halt, I don't get the rom monitor prompt back
>(I have to hit the reset button). Would this be an incompatability between
>my version of the monitor and the boot loader, or is this the behaviour
>with the older rom as well?

The boot loader will load any executable that has been prepared properly.

As for getting back to the rom monitor ...

  In 1.0 it jumped to the first byte of the ROM.  That worked for me
only some of the time.  "Snoopy" told me that a possible reason was
that double mapping was not enabled and the code to stop double mapping
might be the problem.  So we set the jump address to be to a position
in the code that was after the jump to high addresses.  This is for
the Nov 1991 ROM code.  It is completely possible that the 1.1 jump
address is wrong.  Is there a general way of discovering where to
jump?

One problem that now exists for me and some others is that even when
you get the ROM monitor prompt, without a real hardware reset, the
kernel hangs just before the autoboot code should start and NOTHING
happens.  I expect to be able to do some more and better debugging since
I now have a second pc532 up and (almost) running.

Soon I will update the To.Do list for after 1.1 and post it to this
list so you all can see what I think needs to be done.

Thanks again to all who helped improve NetBSD/pc532.

--
Phil Nelson
phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu (NetBSD/pc532 machine)