Subject: Re: Agh! Can someone send me a kermit or szrz binary for 1.1 ALPHA?
To: Sverre Froyen <sverre@sst.nrel.gov>
From: Dave Rand <dlr@daver.bungi.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/04/1995 12:07:40
[In the message entitled "Re: Agh! Can someone send me a kermit or szrz binary for 1.1 ALPHA?" on Nov  4,  9:48, Sverre Froyen writes:]
> Matthias Pfaller writes:
> >
> > Be ashamed of yourself :-) Now you have such a nice machine with *eight*
> > serial ports and you are telling us you didn't even provide cabeling for
> > more then one port?
>
> Along the same lines: The serial chip is limited to 38400.  Has anyone
> found a way to increase the speed?  A pin compatible chip allowing
> 115 kb for instance.

There is no such limit on the hardware.  The software arbitarily is
limiting the speed to 38400.  Each port, with the correct software,
can range in speed from 50 bps (or slower) to 115Kbps.  I've used them
for years.  There is also no reason why you have to run each port at
19200 *or* 38400 - this again is an artificial software limitation.

As I'm now 'back', so to speak, I'll be helping to remove some of the
restrictions in the software that exists today.

--
Dave Rand
Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com