Subject: Re: Well, I *wanted* to say that my pc532 lived!
To: None <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 10/11/1995 13:17:42
>>   1) Install NetBSD 1.0.  The full distribution and notes live at
>> 	ftp.netbsd.org and mirrors in the 1.0 distribution tree.
>>
>>   2) Install NetBSD 1.0 and use the snapshot (also on ftp.netbsd.org
>> 	and mirrors) to get closer to -current.
>
>But..   There don't appear to be any boot floppies or other medium
>for this?

NetBSD 1.0 distribution HAS everything you need to bootstrap NetBSD
onto your computer.  It is NOT as easy as the current version.

  a) you use netbsd.rd or netbsd.rf depending on the speed of your
	console.  It is downloaded (or loaded from disk or tape via
	the rom monitor) into memory.

  b) you download the ram.root root file system into memory

  c) you run the kernel.

For 1.1, we do have a "boot floppy" that can be put on a 1.44 Meg
floppy and booted directly, via your ROM autoboot monitor, from
a scsi floppy drive.  This "boot floppy" can also be directly
loaded into RAM using the ROM monitor (from the serial line, disk
or tape) and then the kernel can be booted from the "ram floppy"
by running at the correct address.

EVERYTHING, two kernels and some installation binaries and tools,
are contained in the one 1.44Mb floppy image!  It does have the
one "problem" that it assumes the console is a 9600 baud console,
so one must set the console speed to 9600 (baud d'9600) before
booting the new installation floppy.

Again, I don't have a complete (pre) 1.1 distribution ready yet.  I do
have the boot floppy image but I don't have the distribution
tar files made.  Also, the documentation is NOT changed completely
for the new installation.

--
Phil Nelson
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu