Subject: Re: Well, I *wanted* to say that my pc532 lived!
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-pc532
Date: 10/11/1995 00:36:36
On Tue, 10 Oct 1995 23:22:43 -0700
 "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

 > I keep my pc532 around as a reminder of what might have been, and as a
 > possible lesson for the future.  I figure for what I've put into it,
 > it's been time well-spent.  At least I can say that I saw a machine
 > based on the 32532 before it (the chip) finally died! :-)

Anybody remember the old Sequent Balances (before they, too, went the
way of Intel...)?  Still have one at OSU (hurricane - sort of an ironic
name) with 10 ns32032s in it.  Now _that_ was a machine ... `xy' disks
hanging off the Multibus, and an old Wren 3 hanging off the SCED (SCSI,
Console, Ethernet, Diagnostic ... quite a multi-purpose board :-).  Quite
reliable little box ... had an uptime of nearly a year at one point,
running it's 4.2 derivative.  It's probably the single-most reliable
machine I've _ever_ used .. kind of makes me forgive it for being so slow
:-)

I imagine you feel about the pc532 like I feel about the old Sequents in
general .. the Balance series and the old Symmetry (the first of the
Intel-based Sequents)... Maybe one day ....

Anyhow, cool to hear that your 532 lives...