Subject: Re: Well, I *wanted* to say that my pc532 lived!
To: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 10/10/1995 22:43:01
> Phil wrote:
> >Jordan wrote:

> Yup!  And for NetBSD/pc532-1.1, all you will have to download via
> the serial line is a 1.44Mb "floppy" image!  Nothing more!  And
> you have the option of slip, ppp or plip! (Well, you may not have
> the lpt hardware installed, so plip may not be an option.)
> Matthias Pfaller has done a lot of work that will make this MUCH
> easier for the 1.1 installation.  I even have a copy of download.c
> that compiles under NetBSD-current and solaris.  (It should work
> anywhere where termios is available.)  This version of
> download.c includes both sending and receiving the same format
> the ROM monitor understands.

I wish installing Minix 1.3 had been that easy... 8-)  (Or even my
first shot at NetBSD.)  Great work guys, too bad I don't have much
use for it now.  (Actually, if my un-backed-up hard drive EVER
crashes, that will help a GREAT deal.)

> >P.S. There aren't many of us left, are there?  What 10 working pc532s,
> >max?
>
> I bet there are more than that!  The question may be "how many are
> running NetBSD/pc532?"  And I think that number is greater than 10.
> My pc532 is still my only machine at home!

I expect there are more than 10 as well.  I never say much, unless I
have a stupid question, or I want to whine about not understanding the
inside of the kernel, and ask a stupid question about it... 8-)

I have seen at least 2 offered for sale recently though.  As for other
stuff, my personal dream (that will never happen) is to get a dual 88110
video board in one of the 532 slots as an X-term, running NetBSD or some
such system.  I guess I have one more month to get it designed, built,
tested, and ported, until the baby arrives. 8-)

Jon