Subject: Re: Well, I *wanted* to say that my pc532 lived!
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Philip A Zimmermann <paz@world.std.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 10/10/1995 10:52:55
On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> to 115V with what I'd like to say were trembling fingers but weren't,
> and plugged it in.  "Fzzzzzzzzz...."  An anemic fizzing from the power
> supply and not so much as a fan turning.  Feh!  I guess that "dual
> rated" power supply simply wasn't!  So much for my planned "my pc532
> lives!" message! :-(

> For a variety of reasons, I'd really rather not deal with taking the
> drive out of its case and trying to kludge up something with one of my
> development systems for populating the drive.  I know, it would be a
> LOT easier to simply set it all up in advance on one of my FreeBSD
> boxes and then move the drive over, but trust me - that's a painful
> prospect right now.  If it took 3 days to download the entire shlorp

> P.S. There aren't many of us left, are there?  What 10 working pc532s,
> max?

If I'm able, I'll try to increase that by one, at least!

Hi, Jordan!  Looks like I joined the mailing list just in time. I was
afraid that by the time I moved and became resettled (why are we moving,
anyway?!) the PC532 would exist only in a few people's memories, such
as those who wondered why on earth there was a newsgroup with virtually no
traffic. But I digress...

I bought a couple of the kits awhile back, built one for myself, and that
was about it. Never fired it up. I'd love to, but I need to buy RAM for
it and even more importantly, I need to buy a SCSI drive and load the OS
on it. Perhaps it's just as well that I didn't buy the drive before; the
prices have fallen so! But I've never prepared a SCSI drive and never
loaded a drive with anything but DOS, so I'm lost. If someone could
recommend what drive would work and could clone their HD to mine or
recommend the serial method you referred to, I'd go for either one.

Where are you now, that you're able to use a 115v power supply?

Lastly, is there a list owner? My service provider has done me the favor
of doing a conversion from mailing-lists to local newsgroups so my
mailbox isn't jammed every day. I'd like to ask permission for that from
whoever is the list owner.

thanks in advance-
=Philip=
philip a. zimmermann	(no relation to philip r. zimmermann of PGP fame!)
paz@world.std.com