Subject: Re: Well, I *wanted* to say that my pc532 lived!
To: None <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 10/09/1995 22:16:23
>That means that I'm *very* interested in any installation solutions
>folks might have involving serial downloaded installation tools, or
>whatever.  Can I download an installation utility using the ROM
>download feature that will allow me to partition and setup the hard
>drives and then perhaps suck the rest of the distribution over SLIP?
>[Really hoping I get a "yes" :-)]

Yup!  And for NetBSD/pc532-1.1, all you will have to download via
the serial line is a 1.44Mb "floppy" image!  Nothing more!  And
you have the option of slip, ppp or plip! (Well, you may not have
the lpt hardware installed, so plip may not be an option.)
Matthias Pfaller has done a lot of work that will make this MUCH
easier for the 1.1 installation.  I even have a copy of download.c
that compiles under NetBSD-current and solaris.  (It should work
anywhere where termios is available.)  This version of
download.c includes both sending and receiving the same format
the ROM monitor understands.

Once you get your pc532 back alive, if you want to beta test the
installation procedure, I'd like that.

>P.S. There aren't many of us left, are there?  What 10 working pc532s,
>max?

I bet there are more than that!  The question may be "how many are
running NetBSD/pc532?"  And I think that number is greater than 10.
My pc532 is still my only machine at home!

--
Phil Nelson
phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu (NetBSD/pc532 machine)