Subject: Re: vm problems
To: Sverre Froyen <sverre@sst.nrel.gov>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/14/1995 17:15:16
> I did not fix that.  I'm just very careful and make sure I remove
> the floppies ASAP after use :-)  I added code for mode select, for
> recognizing page 5 mode sense, and for ejecting media.  Perhaps
> you could send me your floppy motor changes.

That's just a "#if 0" around the start unit command...
I should have posted the page 5 code I did. So we would not have to do
this twice :-(

> No.  I first noticed this when attempting to compile kernel sources
> that had been copied first TO and then FROM the Syquest.  The source files
> would have blocks of binary data in them.  Copying the bad files from the
> Syquest a SECOND time would invariably produce good files.  Also,
> attempting to compile the sources ON the Syquest would fail at random
> places with syntax errors.  BTW,  I did a compile of the Syquest sources
> with SCSI debugging turned on.  It took forever, but it got through
> the compilation without errors.

That sounds somewhat different then my original problem.

> > > would say files differ.
> >
> > That was my buggy pdma code. You can trigger *that* bug from single user
> > mode by doing a
> > 	mount -r /usr; cmp /dev/rsd0c /dev/rsd0c.
> > You'll see differences pretty fast :-(
>
> Is the bug still there?  I'll give it a try later.

I'm not sure how far Phil got with integrating my changes into current.
I'm getting a new source tree not so often.

> The reason I am saying my other drives appear to be OK is simply that
> all my compilations work fine (aside from an occasional /bin/sh core
> dump).

Now that one looks like my problem.

> I had the occasion to do a major reinstall of everything after
> I compiled a tested a kernel where I had changed the BURST macro
> in ncr.c to 1.  The resulting kernel wiped out my root, usr, and var
> partitions.  I rebuilt all the binaries from new sources without any
> disk related errors.

Oh. What a pain. I'm really sorry for that...

What drives do you have? My setup is:

ID 0:   Quantum LP52S root, swap, var
ID 1:   Micropolis 4110 usr, user
ID 2.0: Teac FC-1 with 3.5" floppy