Subject: Re: vm problems
To: Sverre Froyen <sverre@sst.nrel.gov>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/14/1995 16:14:15
> Here is a me too.  Maybe :-)

Actually no.

> For a while I have been trying to get a Syquest 270MB drive to work
> with my pc532.  I have added code to sd.c to handle removable media
> such as floppy drives and Syquest drives and my SCSI floppy works
> fine.

You too? When I noticed that sd would turn on the floppy motor and thus
ruin floppies *very* fast, I changed a few things...

> Using "current" sources from the beginning of May, the drive would
> occasionally produce bad data on read.  Writes appear to be OK.  There
> is no indication from the driver that anything went wrong, you have to
> inspect the resulting file to see it.  For instance,
>
> 	cp <syquest>/bin/csh /tmp/csh
> 	cmp <syquest>/bin/csh /tmp/csh

Have you ever looked at the output of cmp -l? The data should be shifted
by one byte.

> would say files differ.

That was my buggy pdma code. You can trigger *that* bug from single user
mode by doing a
	mount -r /usr; cmp /dev/rsd0c /dev/rsd0c.
You'll see differences pretty fast :-(

> With the present "current" sources, the errors appear MUCH more often.
> For files of any length, it is virtually impossible to obtain a good
> copy.  For sources from about a week ago, I would also get an occasional
> kernel panic, but the panics appear to have gone away in the latest source.
>
> My other hard drives appears to work fine (i have not noticed any problems).

Please run the "cmp" test on them (and on your syquest). I'd be interested
in the results.

> I thought the problem was caused by timing problems in the ncr driver.
> Note that I am not doing any memory mapping.

That seems to be another bug.

	Matthias