Subject: Problems with rtscts
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 01/09/1995 08:03:45
-------------------- Mail Item Text Follows ------------------

To: INTERNET--IBMMAIL  INTERNET at IBMMAI

From:    Stuart J. Arnold       ext. 2476
         European Patent Office -- Munich
         N1EPO4TL@IBMMAIL.COM
Hi,

Has anyone out there tried doing anything serious with hardware flow
control on the 532?

I am trying to set up a uucp connection between my 532 and a remote
machine, some sort of intel machine running Linux.  Up to now, I
haven't had much success.  I can transfer data between another machine
(a Pentium which I borrowed) and the remote machine without problem.
However neither machine seems to want to talk to the 532, either via
modem or a serial cable.  The 532 can send data, but it cannot receive.
The symptoms look
like classic flow control problems.  RTSCTS doesn't appear to be
working, although stty reports that it is switched on.

I tried copying a file to a terminal as an experiment.  With flow
control turned off it got scrambled as expected.  However with it only
enabled on the terminal the file was displayed OK although according
to stty, rtscts was turned OFF at the 532 end.  I haven't been able
to send a file to the 532 yet to see what happens in the other
direction.

I have noticed other peculiarities with the serial ports:

1) The manual says including a flag rtscts in /etc/ttys should turn
rtscts on as default on that port.  It doesn't.

2) The first time I log on, the logon name is echoed twice.  Subsequently
it's echoed only once.  I can force the correct behaviour by turning
echo off on the port before logging on.  :ec entries (or lack thereof)
in gettytab seem to be ignored.

Has anyone else seen anything similar? I would be grateful for any hints.

(Actually, after playing with the Pentium, I wonder why I bother with
the 532 at all :-)

Many thanks
Stuart Arnold