Subject: Re: (fwd) problems building kernel
To: None <bdale@chunks.gag.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/21/1994 17:15:30
>Is there some reason building gcc, et al, from the 1.0 released sources would
>be a bad thing to do?

Yes.  I should have changed the Makefile for the pc532 stuff.  The full
source in the released version is 2.4.5.  There are some patches in there
for 2.5.8 that need to be used to get the final version of cc1 that is
distributed. I thought I put that in the INSTALL notes.

Everything in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2 EXCEPT cc1 is what was distributed.
The only thing that is different is cc1.  (This means that there may be
problems with cc1plus, but I couldn't get 2.5.8 cc1plus to produce a working
groff and friends.)

If you want to build your own cc1, get the patches that are found in the
1.0 source distribution and build it from the gcc-2.5.8 sources.  (You could
also get gcc-2.6.1 and try that one, but I don't know if any patches are
needed for 2.6.1.)  Also, you may need to copy the NetBSD
/usr/include/std*.h over the gnu versions to get compiles to work cleanly.

--Phil