Subject: NetBSD experiences
To: None <n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/14/1994 10:51:59
>1).  To make the initial build work, I had to compile things static.
>     However a few routines make tools to make themselves (e.g. tn3270)
>     and the static flag doesn't get passed right down.  Now I have the
>     shared libraries working the problem appears to have gone, but I
>     assume the problems with flag passing are still there.

Once again ... 1.0 for the pc532 does not have shared libs "turned on".
So if you do have any *.so.* in your /usr/lib, you are on your own.

I do expect to have them enabled very soon.  I think that with gcc-2.6.1,
it will be included in NetBSD-current and that all the needed fixes
for shared libs to work reliably will be in the tree.  (Most of them are
now.)

>2).  login and su have problems matching passwords, and I can only login
>     if no passwords are set.  (The dist binaries are ok however).

I have not had any problem here ... but I haven't tried the "security"
version ... but those of you outside the US won't have the same "security"
set as the US so I can't help you on that! :(

>3).  getty insists on being full duplex, although login and the old getty
>     are ok.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

--Phil

P.S.  Soon I will be updating the "To.Do" list in sys/arch/pc532.
I will post it to this list for those who don't keep -current sources
on their machines.